Monday, February 25, 2008

I am engaged!

I acknowledge i have been bad and not updating on my engagement. So bad! bad! spank! bad dayang!

actually i did try to post something short the day after the engagement but internet connection choose to be a problem when i decided to post it and it went into draft and me being me, whatever that goes into draft would hardly ever see the light of worldwideweb day ever again. sigh. but here i am! making up for lost time! I AM ENGAGED! ive been engaged for ...ermm..hmm...ermmm...10 days. wow.

Couple of nights after my engagement, my sister and i was sitting on the sofa watching tv when she suddenly looked at me and loudly exclaimed in her typical bimbonic cheerleader way where they put exclamation marks after each word like! you know?! like! this!

She looked at me and jumped to her knees, "Oh! my! God! ...you're like! *pause* engaged! *gasp* *pause*"

So it finally hit her that her sister have gotten herself engaged. ... such tragedy. such horror. ...how was i suppose to answer this? by giving my sister the usual look and sarcastic answer.

"ermm..*fake gasp!* im engaged! ...yeah. i know. i was there."

...she continued looking at me, all bug eyed and with her head slightly tilting to the right.
*pause* she looked at me quizzically and me looking back at her with what-is-the-matter-with-my-sister?! look. and she then after several dragged moment of silence that you could hear someone breaking the head of my gingerbread man, she dropped the bomb,

"....but you don't look any different....*blinkblink* *still staring at me*"

Sigh. yes. my sister.

I definitely dont look any different other than i have this blingbling of a ring on my left hand to signify i am betrothed to be married. I dont really feel any difference. This is 10 days after the event, so i guess everything is kinda calm right now. I did look different on my engagement day though! i looked pweeettyyy! coz i had Esham to do my make up and hair. I cant remember much from the day itself other than ....

It was nerve wrecking. i felt like i had an out of body experience wondering why everyone was in my room, taking photos of me and with me. felt like i was at someone else engagement and i was just a guest "menyibuk". but it all went well. thank you all for coming, i really REALLY appreciate it.

I had Shafiq Akmal from Candid Syndrome taking photos for the engagement and he was fantastic, making jokes with everyone in the room, made me feel comfortable and less of a stranger to him and more of a friend menyibuk taking photo of another friend. He was the official photog. But i have to say i really really love my unofficial but equally appreciated photog, Shahran, Hendra and Kjell that came down from Singapore just to be at our engagement.

The day started of with me remembering to eat and then (almost expectedly) cut my finger by something i havent figured out. Typical dayang to be accident prone. i cut myself on my ring finger on my right hand. Just nice la kan. that finger jugak la kan. So yeah, i have a cut on my ring finger on the day of the engagement. hehe.

Esham came and started doing my make up and my friends slowly started to trickle into the room. I was restless, i know. i cant help it. i get restless when im nervous...and waiting. i hate waiting. and when the make up and hair was complete....i was waiting some more! with my dad continuously calling me to call zul to ask for current status. and then i found out my dad had zul's number all along..........wwwwhyyyyy whyyyyyyy torture me so daddy?!

i thank the lucky stars i had my friends keeping me calm, making me "SIT DOWN!" (yayzah and ika were the pushy ones for this) and be poise and demure, started distracted me by talking to me, keeping me in conversations (malina, alia, nad and niza), and handing me a toy to strangle and keep my hands busy (malina). ...and then the rombongan came. i cant hear a thing, and zul was with his friends at the clubhouse having a drink by the pool with the boys. i heard marina's fiance who came with her somehow ended up with the boys there, and so was siddiq, aliza's husband who was part of zul's entourage from home. Boys will be boys.

And suddenly it was time to bring the hantaran downstairs.

It was agreed for zul to give me 7 hantarans and i were to reply with 9 hantarans. Since it was also his 26th birthday and his first birthday with me as his significant other, his hantaran were extra special and a lot of thoughts were put into them.

The butang baju melayu were set with amethyst stones, February birthstone.
And he received a complete set of clothes to be worn for the akad nikah.

There was a gingerbread girl and boy theme throughout. Guests received favours of a gingerbread boy or girl. And there were a gingerbread boy or girl hidden on each tray and i requested for a gingerbread couple lying on a cake as one of the hantaran. It turned out beautiful and im afraid, it will be copied by others from now on. Sigh.

Yada yada yada. I was nervous as hell and im glad i didnt run when i was going down the stairs and then...before i realise what has happened they have put a ring on my finger and i was engaged. Zul's sister Anne sms him to inform him that. Hes engaged. and so am i.

Before he can see his fiancee though, he was stopped by an army of mothers. My other mothers. The collection of toll. It was totally unexpected. Suddenly i had like 6 people surrounding me (actually shoving their ass towards me) and blocked my view and air supply and left me wondering what is going on, until i heard the phrase "bayar tol baru boleh tengok!"

and zul replying "ha?! tol?! ada seringit je ni! camna ni?!"

after must negotiation, they let him off with a warning to be better prepared in July. :)

and then i finally saw my fiance looking at me with.....confusion. yes, confusion. and then shock. then senyum berjela before he sat next to me.

and then suddenly! aunty fairuz (one of my other mothers) came, grab and shoved a pillow between us to act as a barrier! "baru tunang! takleh duduk dekat-dekat! kena ada barrier!"

Those were among the funny moments i can remember. Im glad everything went smoothly and everyone had fun. i have hundred of photos and so far, everyone looked so happy in them, so i am glad everyone had fun on my engagement day. thank you for being part of it.




3 comments:

Cik Puan Bidadari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cik Puan Bidadari said...

we were glad to be there to celebrate your day. :-D didn't have the chance to taste the gingerbreads (only managed to kidnap one for abang fitri..hence the order made to shireen :-D)..pretty sure they were yummy..anyway, there's not much change when you are engaged (oklah have to admit there will be time yang sukar..but then, when u think about it, bilanya life senang? :-P)...wait till you are married! tu banyak changes! *wink*

Unknown said...

hehehe... bridezilla : episode 1 (the prequel)

muahahahah!

stay tuned for the sequel this july...!~